Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ups and Downs

Today I had an ultrasound at my doctor visit. I was a little worried going into it because at my last appointment the doctor said she wanted to take a look because by belly was measuring small.  It really made me take a step back and pray that I am doing everything right for my little girl to be healthy. During the last couple of weeks I started to wonder, maybe I am exercising too much or not getting enough calories for her to grow fast enough? Well turns out that is not the case at all. Despite by belly being a little smaller (she said that is common for taller women or women with longer torsos, which I guess I fall into that category) the baby is measuring a little over a week ahead of the average growth at this point in my pregnancy and my fluid levels are perfect. My doctor told me that everything looks really good and to continue doing the things I have been doing. Yay!

I think I have started reaching the nesting phase as well, which in a lot of ways is kind of nice because I feel more energy to get things done. I have a few last things to do to personalize baby's room so she doesn't have the exact same room her sister had, but other than that we are ready for her! The bad thing about nesting is that my patience seems to run a little thinner. At work I am really trying to get all loose ends tied up since I will have 12 weeks off, but when your customers don't have the same urgency it can get frustrating at times!

The past week has brought some really high points as well as low points (or more positively put, "challenges") on the workout front. Last time I wrote was the day before we were doing Fran at our box. I really wanted to go through it once while I was pregnant just to finish it and also see what time I would get. I actually exceeded my expectations and RX'd Fran in 6:12 at 33 weeks pregnant. The pull ups definitely took up the majority of the extra time. I started out with 5 reps at a time and quickly went down to 3's and 2's but made it through, even no repping myself on one because I don't think my chin got over the bar. The thrusters felt pretty good, I went through 21 unbroken, broke once on 15, and then the last 9 unbroken. I was definitely out of breath a lot faster! I love doing Fran with all of the other members because there is just a different atmosphere than a regular WOD. It is really fun to cheer everyone on and see people push themselves as hard as they possibly can!

A couple of other high points this week are I PR'd my overhead squat by 5 lbs. My max attempt was 145 lbs and it felt really good. I also felt like things were promising with my shoulders after my visit with my chiropractor and he worked on them helping me target my problem areas. That same day pressing weight over my head felt better than it has in a really long time. This also brought on some frustration the next day because we were doing push jerks and jerk balances and although I didn't feel as much pain as I had felt previously, I felt weak and still limited in my range of motion. I was very tentative and not punching out more in fear of it hurting than because of actual pain. I know I am pregnant and I have other areas that hinder my ability to jerk efficiently (such as no core and my quickness to drop under the weight isn't there), however I have been working so hard on my mobility and getting my shoulder range of motion better so the slow progress or set backs still really frustrate me. I know from others' point of view it might seem like I should never get frustrated during a workout because I have an "excuse", but I think it can be even more frustrating because I am still working hard but progress is slowed and in some areas it is regressing for now and patience is not my strong suit.





Some pics of my pregnant Fran









No comments:

Post a Comment